Monday, August 6, 2012

Too Much Zucchini?

The little vegetable stand is up and running, but so far has not quite kept pace with my bounteous garden. So I have been trying out some new zucchini recipes out of desperation. The first one I tried came off of Facebook, that great recipe sharing site, and it was very good. I wouldn't expect to find myself eating a half of a zucchini and going back for seconds, but the dish was just that tasty.

The recipe can be adapted any which way you like, but here it is as it was written:

Take your zucchini, slice them in half the long way, and scoop out the seeds. You can also cut a thin slice off the bottom to make them stand up.


Brush the zucchini with olive oil, salt, and garlic (we used a LOT of garlic! Yum!), then lay in pieces of tomato and sprinkle with bread crumbs. Bake at 350 for approx. 30 min.

Remove from oven and place pieces of mozzarella cheese between the tomato chunks. Broil until bubbly and  slightly browned. You can garnish with fresh basil shreds if desired.

The tomatoes are so small because they are the
 first ripe tomatoes of the season. Very
exciting stuff, but they ARE cherry tomatoes.
As an extra taste treat of the evening, we had our first creamed peas and new potatoes. It all sprung out of a tragic error. I've been leaving my snow peas to grow and picking my pod peas for snow peas. I finally figured that out, but I had a whole bunch of elderly snow peas that needed to be shelled and used. "Whole bunch" being a relative term. When I as done I had about 3/4 of a cup full. I told my mom I wanted her to use them to make creamed potatoes.

"That's not enough peas," she said.

Little did she know...

Then I went out to dig the new potatoes. I'd planted them quite a while ago and they were already sprouting---in fact, they were so sprouted that their sprouts had baby potatoes already---so I confidently expected to find some nice spuds. In fact, I was worried that I might not be able to find any baby ones left.

I didn't find any under the first plant so I tried another. Hmmmmm. Maybe I'm not digging deep enough.

It wasn't until my third try that I hit pay dirt. My first potato. I managed to find 3 others and decided that four potatoes would be plenty. After all, I didn't have that many peas in the first place. 

Actually, I turned out to have too many peas for my potatoes!




I took them into my mom. "I don't know how to make cream sauce by the teaspoon-full," she squawked. But she gave it a good try anyway just to please me (that's how moms are, right?).


It all turned out very tasty and we each got one bite of potatoes and peas. Except my dad. It's his favorite dish, so he got two bites.



No comments:

Post a Comment