Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Window Dressing

The last few days I've been working on something a little different. Our local hardware store has been owned by Dennis Kittleson for I-don't-know-how-many-years, but lately he's gotten some crazy ideas about having a life to call his own, travel, and a fun retirement. So he's decided to sell the store.

Nothing is finalized yet, but Jack and Noni are in talks to buy it. They've been spending some time at the shop getting the feel of the business and helping out during the holidays. The last couple of days I've been called into help with some of the work, especially getting the front of the store looking more festive.


I've never worked in stores much before---my 3-month stint as a Walmart cashier has been it so far---but my family can attest that I showed an early aptitude for retail. Way back when I was 4 or 5 I started a little store behind my dad's Lazy-boy recliner. Business was bad, mostly because my stock consisted of little rocks, leaves, and seed pods collected from the yard.

Never one to let petty details like that stop me, I instinctively honed in on one of retail's primary truths. "Give the customer what he wants." What could my brothers want more than their own toys? So I would go into their rooms, "borrow" little things like Hot Wheels and toy dinosaurs, and stock my store with them.

Oh, sure....the boys complained a bit, but I had one very important parental dictate on my side. "Play nicely with your sister." Sometimes being the youngest is a good thing.

After such a sterling beginning,  it was only natural that I be consulted as part Jack and Noni's retail venture. And their store-to-be is already stocked, so I won't even have to worry about that part! Bet my brothers are relieved...

The entrance area of the store.

.
The front window

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment