Sunday, July 31, 2011

Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary


How does your garden grow?

I'm sure all of you have been wondering this. What was the fate of all those seeds started so hopefully last March. Well, it's been a struggle. I lost at least half of my biggest, most healthy seedlings to a creeping fungus, in part because they had to stay indoors so long due to the unseasonably late rain and cold. The ones that survived have thrived, and now that I got some weed eating done, you can actually see them!



My flower garden by the side door of my house.


Part of my herb garden. Lots and lots of herbs (8 varieties), and I absolutely love cooking with them. I made a delicious pesto for potluck this last week, and will be using up the rest of my two freezer bags full of basil in making more pesto sauce to freeze for winter. And I'd better hurry, because it is almost time to cut the plants back again!




The vegetable garden isn't quite as bountiful yet as the flowers because I had to wait several weeks more for the ground to be plowed. I could dig the flower beds myself. But it is coming along and I have already harvested 3 yellow squash and two cherry tomatoes. I've gotten a turnip and a radish, too, but they are a little underdeveloped, so I'm not really counting them.


I am growing onions, turnips, radishes, carrots, eggplant, broccoli, 4 kinds of tomatoes, 3 kinds of peppers, yellow squash, and zucchini. Then I have several more varieties of tomatoes at my parents' house, plus jalapeno peppers.

No comments:

Post a Comment