Monday, February 20, 2012

Cookbook Review

I'm sitting here typing this while wrapped in my Christmas snuggie because I just drank a bunch of smoothie and I am cold from the inside out---why do I always get smoothie obsessed in the winter time when it's freezing? Blogging about some warm comfort food will be just the thing right now.

Turkey and Green Bean Casserole

Ingredients:
Slivered almonds
Herb-seasoned stuffing mix
Chicken broth
Cream of mushroom soup
Milk
French-style green beans
Cooked turkey, cubed

This is a beautiful recipe of stir-and-dump simplicity. The stuffing mix is poured into the bottom of a pan (using non-stick spray first turns out to be a good idea), tossed with the broth, and then covered with the soup/turkey/green bean mixture (of course the turkey was of the veggie variety). Sprinkle toasted slivered almonds on top, bake and enjoy.

Review:
This recipe is one of the reasons I've been slogging through this stupid cookbook; I knew I would love it, and it did not disappoint. I even made it for potluck without testing it first, I was that sure. It got good reviews there, though like I said earlier, non-stick spray would have made things a little easier. But by the time people had the stuffing scraped out of the pan they'd worked up a good appetite!


Sour Cream Squash Pie

Ingredients:
1 package frozen winter squash
Sour cream
Sugar
Egg
Pumpkin pie spice
Salt
Vanilla
Evaporated milk
Graham cracker crust

This was another first in my pie making career---I've never had, let alone made, squash pie. The recipe was simple to make; just mix all the ingredients, pour them in a pie crust, and bake. I used soy milk instead of evaporated milk and it still came out OK. I did have some difficulty getting the sour cream mixed well because I used a substitute that has a firmer texture, but I'm sure no one minded the little white blobs in their dessert.

Review:
This was a decent pie. I may make it at least one more time since my dad, in his eagerness to please, got me twice as much squash as I needed! I took the pie to potluck and people seemed to enjoy it. I'm still looking forward to the end of the stupid pie section in this cookbook; only one more recipe and I'm set free into the Classic Cakes and More section!


No comments:

Post a Comment